Blog Archive

Healthy Hair Challenge 2011 - 2012




source


After a lot of thought and considering the condition of my hair, I decided to go on a Healthy Hair Challenge. I first spoke about it here as a Protective Style Challenge but I have decided to broaden it and tackle the real problems I have with taking care of my hair.

This challenge will run from the 1st of September 2011 to January 31st 2012
- 6 months in all.
Anyone can join in at anytime, in fact, I would love to have some of you natural queens on this challenge to healthier hair. If you are joining the challenge, just leave a comment at the bottom of this post and when I do my weekly/monthly updates, be sure to leave comments at the end of the posts to tell me how it is going and if you have a twitter account, please watch out for my tweets (@DatFunkyFro about the challenge and tweet me to let me know how it's going. You can also send me pictures of your hair and share any tips!
I would really appreciate it!

Now, here is what the challenge entails :


 Cleansing :

Shampoo hair every 3 weeks with sulfate - free shampoo : to keep the scalp clean

-- I will be using my liquid black soap shampoo

● Do an ACV rinse every 3 weeks : to avoid hard water/product build up // cleanse the scalp thoroughly

Clarify every 9 weeks : to cleanse thoroughly // to strengthen the hair strands

-- I will be alternating between shikakai powder and neutral henna




Treatments :

Pre - poo every 3 weeks : for extra moisture // for a bit of protein


-- I will be using my conditioner and olive oil mix

Deep condition every 3 weeks : for moisture // for vital nutrients


-- I will be using my rhassoul clay mix once every 6 weeks

-- I will also be using bentonite clay once every 9 weeks 

Conditioning every 3 weeks : for moisture // detangling


-- I will be detangling with both my fingers and paddle brush


Tea rinse every 3 weeks : to avoid with excess shedding 




Styling :

Style by using : leave - in conditioner // hair butters // daily spritz

● Wear protective styles at least 5 times a week : buns // two strand twists // flat twists // updos


● Wear scarves/beanie/bonnets/berret at least once a week : to cut down on manipulation

● Only wear "out" styles maximum once a week : twist outs // braid outs // pin up updos


Miscellanious

Avoid styles that pull the hair like puffs : to keep edges from breaking // to avoid weakening the hair through tension

Moisturize hair at least once every two days, especially the ends

Search and destroy single strand knots/spit ends once every 3 months


-- I will only be using my shears specialized for my hair alone to avoid damaging the hair while cutting off the damaged strands

Absolutely no heat styling


Always wash in sections


Keep hair as stretched as possible : to avoid knotting



Now here are my goals for this challenge :

healthier hair 


Yes that's really pretty much it. If length comes with it, then so be it, but I have nearly become distracted with length that I've almost forgotten my ultimate goal : healthy hair.

This challenge does not only help me work towards healthier hair but it also is a great way to worth with my hair during the cold months of winter where our hair needs maximum TLC.

As I stated above, please let me know if you will be joining this challenge. The challenge starts on the 1st of September 2011 and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Please note that I might be adding other things to the list, before or after the challenge starts... but I will surely be letting you know.

Have you challenged yourself lately?

♥♥