Blog Archive

Healthy Hair Challenge 2011 - 2012 UPDATE




source


Blessings and love beauties!!

I pray all is well with you all and you have started your week well.

Some of you might have noticed that I stopped posting for a few days, which is not really me since I try to post at least once a day. I have actually been quite busy, been having a tiring week, both physically and psychologically. I have started the exams I'd mentioned and my heart has just been heavy. But I trust God. He has really been the pillar in my life and has upheld me through. Whatever happens, I know my future is sealed in His hands. THough things might look foggy, I have decided to look to my future through the eyes of faith and abandon the eyes of the flesh. I truly appreciate all your love! Thank you and God bless you!

My primary reason for posting today is to update my Healthy Hair Challenge Guidelines. Yes, I know it starts tomorrow, but I have been having a lot of though over the guidelines I'd set in the original post.
I have reconsidered many things and have decided to adjust the rules. Here are the updated criterion for the challenge :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Cleansing :

● Shampoo hair every 3 weeks every week with sulfate - free shampoo : to keep the scalp clean

-- I will be using my liquid black soap shampoo

● Do an ACV rinse every 3 weeks every week : to avoid hard water/product build up // cleanse the scalp thoroughly

● Clarify every 9 weeks once a monthto cleanse thoroughly // to strengthen the hair strands

-- I will be alternating between shikakai powder and neutral henna


Treatments :

● Pre - poo every 3 weeks every week : for extra moisture // for a bit of protein

-- I will be using my conditioner and olive oil mix

● Deep condition every 3 weeks  every weekfor moisture // for vital nutrients

-- I will be using my rhassoul clay mix once every 6 weeks twice a month

-- I will also be using bentonite clay once every 9 weeks once a month

● Conditioning every 3 weeks every week : for moisture // detangling

-- I will be detangling with both my fingers and paddle brush

● Tea rinse every 3 weeks  every weekto avoid with excess shedding 


Styling :

● Style by using : leave - in conditioner // hair butters // daily spritz

Wear protective styles at least 5 times a week : buns // two strand twists // flat twists // updos Wear  low manipulation styles with maximum care


Wear scarves/beanie/bonnets/beret at least once a week : to cut down on manipulation Wear scarves, beanies, berets, bonnets on days where there is no style inspiration. DO NOT attempt to manipulate hair without having an idea what to do

Only wear "out" styles maximum once a week : twist outs // braid outs // pin up updos


Miscellanious

● Avoid styles that pull the hair like puffs : to keep edges from breaking // to avoid weakening the hair through tension

● Moisturize hair at least once every two days, especially the ends

● Search and destroy single strand knots/spit ends once every 3 months

-- I will only be using my shears specialized for my hair alone to avoid damaging the hair while cutting off the damaged strands

● Absolutely no heat styling

● Always wash in sections

● Keep hair as stretched as possible : to avoid knotting

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have decided to keep washing my hair every week like U have been doing all Summer because I have realized and recalled that it's not in the washing that causes harm to your hair, but how you wash. In fact, washing the hair and scalp is a very vital part of healthy hair growth and maintenance. Therefore, if I want to grow and keep healthy hair, I should in no way shy away from washing my hair.  My initial reason for deciding to wash every 3 weeks is because of the time it takes me to wash my hair...but I was being lazy in my mind because my wash days have been so much better than they used to be and actually go by faster that before.
I have realized that taking care of the scalp is very important. Not washing means, all the sweat, dirt you accumulate will just sit there and clog your scalp and hinder proper growth. I have realized that, it's not in the number of times you wash your hair but it's really the method applied and methods used. It is even advised to wash the hair more than once (at least shampoo and condition) a week.

I have also decided to not put in the "wear protective styles at least 5 times a week" rule. To tell you the truth, I am not sure how much I can keep up with this rule since I have fallen so in love with my hair being out and always end up missing it after a few days of protective styles. Of course, I will still be opting mostly for styles that protect my ends and all ...
I know what you are all thinking, protective styles grow hair...um no they don't, not really.
Again, it's not the protective styles but how you do them. YOu can protective style and still not retain length depending on how you care for your hair. And you can not protective style and grow healthy hair! Yes, it is possible. I grow weary of the way I used to think and many of us still think sometimes. Protective styles are good, don't get me wrong, I love them but to say they are the key to healthy hair is not exactly true. Check out this post and you'll see what I'm taking about. 
Therefore, I will be experimenting with different styles, but how I care and manipulate my hair is truly the key.
I will be focusing on low manipulation styles and try and be much more gentle when styling.

Another addition is, as the challenge goes on, I will be giving myself little goals, weekly/monthly etc.

Those are the updates for now. I am really excited about starting this challenge! 
Thank you to all those that have joined! I can't wait to see how it goes for you!
Remember, you can always join us anytime!

♥♥