Blog Archive

Hair Tip #26: Photograph Your Hair Journey

Keep a personal photo log of your hair growth. You don’t have to show it to anyone. For I while I kept it on my phone for my own reference. Since 2010 I gained confidence to share it all with you! I pray you will all gain confidence to start your own blogs and record your journey to help others.
I have been taking pictures of my hair since 2009 and I am very glad that I did. Because you will find that when you look back there are several elements that you will be able to see:

Growth progress. Whenever I feel like my hair has hit a plateau, I go back and recall how short it used to be. It reminds me that my hair is growing. When I see my hair everyday, I most certainly tend to forget that its growing! Simple truth, but seeing is believing for this one!! It keeps me sane sometimes because while my husband is always telling me how much thicker, healthier and longer my hair is, I rant and tell him its staying the same length. Oh silly Kendra, go back to the pictures would ya?

Health progress. When I look back on old photos I am able to see how much healthier my hair is now. My hair was very dry, dull and brittle, now it is nourished, moist and shiny. It reminds me that I have come a long way. Not just in length, but also in attaining healthy hair. In the picture below, you can see how dry my hair was in the first bun hawk I did. I was still washing with baking soda and moisturizing with products that were drying to my hair. You can tell I am still transitioning by how easily the ends lie down. One of the key elements to hair health is thickness. There is a significant difference from the first picture to the second.

Product progress. Looking back, I am able to see how I have advanced in product knowledge and usage. From baking soda, suave, grease, and mineral oil to organic and becoming more consciences of what I put in my hair! I now know what works and have been able to nail down an effective line of products.

Regimen progress. Going back in time allows me to see how I have developed and polished my regimen. It is much more consistent and I have been able to find what works for me. I am able to nail my styles with consistency. It no longer takes me hours every day to style my hair. Detangling is a breeze. Its amazing to think how far I have come!

Confidence progress. Stepping out of boat on faith and becoming natural is not an easy decision. You face much opposition from many places whether family, friends, or society. However, with time, you learn to love and embrace your hair. You celebrate milestones! You leap for joy and squeal when you reach a certain hair goal. You laugh at past mistakes.

So get to snapping!!
"...as the days turn to months, and months to years, you will see how much you have come to truly love and embrace the glory God has given you."