Blog Archive

Bamboo Tea! Yet another way to get your silica fix.

A couple weekends ago, hubby and I were enjoying a leisurely walk downtown. Just as we were completing our rounds, we noticed that several vendor's were setting up a local farmer's market. My interest was immediately peaked as to what possible gem I could find among these local retailers.

We strolled between booths showcasing hand crafted jewelry, home made aprons, specialty pet goodies, etc. Then I saw it, the bamboo booth. It was this humble little stand where a woman and her daughter were offering bamboo plants for sale. We've been looking for bamboo plants forever so we immediately made a beeline to see what the cost of the plants were. The three of us engaged in conversation about how to care for bamboo plants, the cost, and so forth. Then as my husband and the vendor start chatting, her daughter (who was probably 5 years old), comes to me and says this, "my mom drinks a lot of bamboo tea and it made her hair grow." All of the sudden I was brought back to my silica post. You may remember me stating that bamboo is one of the richest sources of silica occurring naturally. In fact, bamboo is a much more potent source of silica than horsetail.

Before the little girl said anything I to me, was only focused on the the plants. I didn't even pay attention to the tea they had available for sale. How did the little girl know that I was a certified hair lush? How did she know.....

Either way, I'm glad she said that cause my very next move was to buy a bag of tea leaves. She even had some tea fresh brewed tea available for consumption. We bought two cups of tea, a bag of leaves and we were on our way.

Bamboo tea is surprisingly light and easy to drink. It's made from the leaves of various bamboo plants. Served chilled, it's a great "summer" tea because of it's light taste. I normally don't sweeten my tea so at times I've had to endure bitterness associated with other teas I've tried. Bamboo tea, to me, has absolutely no bitterness whatsoever. Because of this, I know I'll be consuming tons of this in the days to come.



Because it's a loose tea, I have to employ my little handy dandy loose leaf tea pot. The process is pretty simple, I add the loose leaves to the pot, pour in the hot water and let rest take care of itself. I can usually steep the leaves several times, meaning once I've finished drinking what's in the pot, I just refill with hot water and start the process over.

Along with the rich supply of silica, bamboo tea leaf also contains dietary fiber. It's caffeine free unlike some of the other teas on the market. Plus add the fact that bamboo is a source of antioxidants. All in all, I would say this is a beverage of choice for anyone who is looking to support their skin and hair health. By the way, I just want to say that I've only suffered 2 breakouts since I've taking silica. In the past, I was always battling acne. Now, it's a rare occurrence, it once was the norm for me.


If you aren't into the whole "tea" thing, you can still opt to get your dose of bamboo silica in pill form. To be honest with you, bamboo tea leaves aren't as readily available for purchase as green or other more common leaves. You might be able to find bamboo shoots in a can in the ethnic food section of our local grocer. Either way, I think bamboo is a cost effective way to add silica into your regimen.

Would you guys be interested in a bamboo tea giveaway? Leave a comment below or post in the discussion section of the blog.