Blog Archive

2 Years Since My Last Perm!!





Blessings and love beauties!!

I pray all is well with you and yours and you are having a wonderful week.

Sometime this week (or even probably last week), two years ago, I got my last perm. Yes, I am celebrating two years since my last perm. And guess what, ever since that day, I have never looked back. It was my second time actively making the decision to stop getting perms so at the time, I was not really sure how long the resolution would last, all I knew was that I wanted to wear my natural hair.

Looking back now, I remember mama telling me on the next month that I needed to get a relaxer because of new growth. I swallowed spit as the words, "I am staying natural" burned in my heart. At first I didn't say anything then I told her about what I was determined to do. I am sure she didn't take me seriously and was probably thinking, "here we go again with this - let's see how long this one will last".

But it did last, oh yes it did. Mama told me to get perms but she stopped when I kept singing the same song over and over again, "I am staying natural". Since I didn't want my hair to be the continual point of interest and since I didn't know what else to do with it, I decided to wear micro braids and weaves. I guess I was also buying myself time, time to think about what I was getting myself into and time to educate myself.

Before long, six months of "transitioning" had past. I decided it was time to cut out my already breaking relaxed ends. I asked mama to do it for me and she was skeptical about the idea, in fact, she was skeptical about me staying natural. I pressed on but I had a weave on at the time and it was barely three weeks old but I was yearning for the big chop - the result of watching so many natural hair YouTube videos. Mama and papa were going on a trip very soon but I really wanted mama to help me cut my hair but they ended up going on the trip but I'd told mama I was going to cut my hair myself.

The day after they left, I got me some regular scissors and chopped away.
It was not in anyway logic that I felt as liberated, free and at peace as I felt after letting go of my relaxed strands. I immediately fell in love with my TWA and started running around and looking for what products to use....now what's another story for another day.

And here I am today...two years on without a perm and I'm still gong strong in my natural hair journey.
I won't front, I give all the glory to God and Him alone. He has truly been my support and strength. At the beginning of my natural hair journey, when things were rough and harsh, I prayed to Him to give me knowledge, wisdom, understanding and strength for this journey and for the support of my loved ones. Today, I pretty much have all of that, if not more.
Thank you Lord!

Now, by His grace, there are many more years to come and many more things to learn and share!!
Let's see where I go from where and the new heights He takes me to!

I also want to take the time to thank you all!! This blog kicked off a year after I decided to stay natural, that is, a year from now. I started by posting random things - posts I thought could never be of any value to anyone except for me. I never thought the blog would turn out to become what it is today, never in my dreams. I am so grateful to you all that have been following me and supporting me from the very beginning, I know you all and you all know who you are! I really appreciate it! Thank you to those that have met me on my journey and have been nothing but sweet and supportive! You do not know how great you have made this journey for me and the things I have learnt from you all!
May God bless you all a hundred fold!

I would also like to encourage those that might be transitioning or newly natural. Ladies do not be discouraged. Stand strong and get yourself some knowledge about your beautiful roots. As I've always been saying, knowledge is power. Do not rely on others to carry you through this journey but gladly receive all the help and constructive criticism you get! Furthermore, if you need anything, browse through the little information that this blog holds and feel free to ask any questions you might have whatsoever.

And with all that being said, I clap my hands looking back and stand tall as I gaze upon the mountains yet to be climbed. Though I know what what I will encounter as I proceed,  I do know that can only get better.

How long has it been since you said goodbye to perms?

♥♥